December 2, 2018
The days are coming, says the LORD,
when I will fulfill the promise
I made to the house of Israel and Judah.
In those days, in that time,
I will raise up for David a just shoot ;
he shall do what is right and just in the land.
In those days Judah shall be safe
and Jerusalem shall dwell secure;
this is what they shall call her:
“The LORD our justice.”
- Four Religious Leaders and Two Laity Appointed to Organize Pope Francis February Summit
- Archbishops Cupich, Scicluna and Oswald Gracias selected – Reverend Hans Zollner will be the lead person.
Two separate conferences convened this past week at the Vatican:
- “Drugs and Addictions: An Obstacle to Integral Human Development” Coordinated by the Holy See’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development.
- Forum examined the problem of drugs and an increase in “new dependencies.” Prefect for the Dicastery, Cardinal Peter Turkson, was one of several speakers.
- “God No Longer Lives Here?” – Vatican Conference on Decommissioning Places of Worship –
- Participants gathered to develop guidelines for handling shuttered churches and protecting their assets.
- U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops 2018 Pastoral Letter on Racism –
- “But racism still profoundly affects our culture, and it has no place in the Christian heart. This evil causes great harm to its victims, and it corrupts the souls of those who harbor racist or prejudicial thoughts. The persistence of the evil of racism is why we are writing this letter now.”
- Austin’s Bishop Daniel Elias Garcia Appointed to Head Diocese of Monterey
- Bishop Garcia also celebrated a historic consecration in 2015 when he was installed as the first Auxiliary Bishop of Austin, Texas.
- Bishop Morlino of Madison Has Died –
- 71-year-old prelate recently celebrated his 15th anniversary as Madison’s bishop.
- Schedule of Services and Mass of Christian Burial for Madison’s Bishop Robert Morlino
- Includes a link to EWTN website where there will be a live-streamed broadcast of next Tuesday’s Mass.
- Video – Bishop Morlino discussing his call to the Priesthood
- One of his goals in Madison was to increase commitment to vocations.
- Please join us as we pray that God will grant eternal rest unto Chicago Police Officer Samuel Jimenez, Dr. Tamara O’Neal, and Pharmacist Dana Less, and let perpetual light shine upon each of them. All three were victims of last week’s violent shooting at Chicago’s Mercy Hospital. May they rest in peace.
Commonweal Magazine recently launched a new series entitled “Catholic Identity” featuring individual essays on “why we join, leave, or stay in the church.” Some of the reflections in the series may be valuable in our efforts to address the exodus from the Catholic faith and aid in evangelizing new members. America’s Editors stated: “In truth, the reasons people join the church and remain in it are as complicated and various as the reasons others leave it.” This week’s selection:
- Why I Came – B. D. McClay’s essay on why she joined the Catholic Church.
- “How to tell the story of conversion? I would like to say that I immediately flew unto Mary, to stand before her, sinful and sorrowful. But it took a long time.”
“Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.”
- Here are a couple of resources to aid your Parishioners in the four-Sunday celebration of Advent. Each one is easily downloaded for reprinting and sharing:
- 2018 Family Advent Calendar With Daily Prayers – Courtesy of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Creighton University Online Ministry -Praying Advent Resources
- In the midst of our everyday busy lives, this site offers simple ways to enter into the 2018 Advent season, week by week.
Free Advent Webinar “What It Means to Wait for the Lord: The Obedience of St. Joseph” – December 18 @ 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm EST – Sponsored by Ave Maria Press -Moderator: Leonard J. DeLorenzo – University of Notre Dame Professor, and author of Witness and What Matters Most
On behalf of the staff and the Board of Directors of the National Federation of Priests’ Councils, please accept our prayers and best wishes for a glorious Advent Season!