- The Thai cave rescue ended in success. But only two weeks ago, it all seemed hopeless Our NFPC Staff joins the world in offering prayers of Thanksgiving for the safe rescue of the Thailand Soccer Team and their coach. News coverage courtesy of CNN.
News From the Vatican:
- “God No Longer Lives Here?” Conference on Protecting the Sanctity of Closed Churches
- Philippines Bishops Call for 3 Days of Prayer After latest Duterte Remarks
- In a conciliatory move, a few days after the Philippines Bishop Conference published their Pastoral Statement, President Duterte requested a private meeting with the Archbishop of Davao. He allegedly pledged to stop making blasphemous remarks about the Catholic church in return for a cessation of criticism of his regime by Catholic clergy.
- Major Archbishop of Syro-Malabar Catholic Church Relieved of Administrative Duties
- Theologians to Gather in Sarajevo to Talk Ethics, Action “As populist leaders talk about building walls, theologians seek to build bridges”
Topping the US News this week are changes in U. S. Supreme Court and how those changes will impact the future make-up of the court. Here are the three top stories:
- Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy Announces Retirement
- President of U.S. Bishops’ Conference Urges Senate Not to Use Support for Roe V. Wade as Litmus Test for Judicial Nominees
- Federal Appeals Court Judge Brett Kavanaugh Nominated to Replace Justice Kennedy
Other National News:
- ‘Laudato Si’ Three Years Later: The US Response
- ‘Laudato Si’ Encyclical Kindles Earth-Friendly Spark in Catholic Schools, Parishes (Environmental News from the Diocese of Belleville, Illinois)
- New Mexico Bishop Oscar Cantu Appointed Coadjutor Bishop of San Jose
- What Does Pope Francis, the Chicago Tribune and Cardinal Cupich Have In Common?
We want to/need to hear from YOU – OUR SUBSCRIBERS. Let us know what “works” – share news from your Diocese.
And that’s it for the week. Please share NFPC This Week with others in your diocese