Bishop Garcia reported the death of Bishop Jose J. Madera, M.Sp.S., Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of the Archdiocese for the Military Services, on Jan. 21.
– The Latin Mass Community was discussed
– Human Resources for Priests and Mandated Reporter Training for Priests is being planned for the near future.
– The new Director of the Diaconate introduced himself to members.
– An extensive discussion took place on the topic of the Sanctuary Movement. Members expressed a variety of ways in which the diocese and parishes can assist without breaking the law. Catholic Charities would also be involved in helping immigrants at risk.
– The diocesan Parish Relationship Manager for Catholic Funeral & Cemetery Services is doing outreach to parishes on the new Catholic cremation guidelines (Ad resurgendum cum Christo – “To Rise with Christ”).
– The Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) requested to bring their program to the diocese. Minutes note the diocese would benefit from establishing a Department of Campus Ministry. Also would inquire if the CCC has a statewide vision for campus ministry.
– The Chrism Mass is scheduled for April 10.
– The Diocesan History Book has been delivered to most parishes.
– The Solar Energy initiative is on track. Bishop Garcia participated in a press conference on Jan. 20, to announce the rollout.
– Bishop Garcia appointed the vicar general to help with upcoming Confirmations.
– Minutes note the diocese has 19 seminarians in various phases of formation. 7 are in their Pastoral Year. 4 are scheduled to be ordained to the diaconate in May and 4 to be ordained to the priesthood in June.
– The recently retired director of Pastoral Planning for the Diocese of San Bernardino will speak to a joint meeting of the Pastoral and Presbyteral Councils in March. The goal is to do training of personnel in models of Pastoral Planning. A suggestion was made that the diocese form an office of planning.
– Minutes note the director of the Diaconate Office will be directing Lay Leadership in the diocese.
– The Intentional Presbyterate process was discussed.
– The Synod for Young People to take place in 2018 per a handout form the USCCB
– National marriage Week observed Feb.7-14.
– The Design Meeting with an organization specialist from the Taos Institute and vicars is scheduled for March.
– Minutes note the diocese will sponsor a Catechetical Conference this year.
– The diocese’s Golden Jubilee Mass is scheduled for Dec. 17, 2017.