The meeting began with study on Evangelium Gaudium and a discussion on homiletic methodology.
A. New Business
- New Members to Presbyteral Council
Two new members were welcomed to the Council.
- Election of New Officers
Secretary – Fr. Adam Westphal
Treasurer – Fr. Chris Reising
- Ongoing School Study
Bishop reported on the diocesan schools’ study saying that three schools were emerging as areas of concentration, with funding the main concern. Discussion fllowed concerning:
- Possible diocesan capital campaign
- Establishing tuition based on actual cost per student
- Increasing teachers’ compensation
- Developing better communication between schools and diocese
- Mentality of “Diocesan Catholic School System” over individual parish schools
Subcommittees will be developed for further discussion
- Guiding Principles on Compensation
A presentation was given as well as a reading of current Guiding Principles on Compensation. Some wording changes were discussed and incorporated into the guiding principles. The Guiding Principles on Compensation will undergo one more revision to incorporate the suggestions, and then be presented to PC with pay scale attached.
- Mass Stipends in Diocese
Presentation was given, and some discussion followed.
Adjourn for lunch; then reconvene.
- Young Adult Programming
A presentation was given with the following key points:
- Scandal is one of top 3 reasons young adults give for leaving Church; cultural sexual issues and science/faith are others
- Usually slowly drift away, not leave because of singular incident
- Eucharist, apostolic succession, and community are what keep people coming
- Engage rather than go with prepackaged programs; look to identify leaders and go with them
- In ministry take chances, make mistakes, get messy (“Miss Frizzle Principle”)
- Discussion followed.
- Diocese in Transition
The Council talked about Bishop Pates’ farewell celebrations with three Masses and celebrations set for October 7, 13 and 14, with one being international in character. There was discussion about other ideas for these events.
- Priests’ Ongoing Formation Fall Workshop
This will be held Sept. 30-Oct. 4 at the Four Points Sheraton, with the focus on Stewardship, and presenter Catholic Stewardship Partners. Looking for a panel of local talent to give perspective with some already confirmed to participate.
- Regional Concerns
Des Moines Region – Discussion on transition
No other Regions reporting.
- News from Pennsylvania
The Bishop discussed the news from Pennsylvania:
- Not new, study going on for several years
- Suggests address this Sunday or put something in bulletin; acknowledge the past, but also the work since 2002; Pennsylvania’s report covers seven decades beginning in 1947
- Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People; the Essential Norms
- We now call law enforcement first and a credible accusation results in removal from office
- For more see Diocesan Press Release
- Transition at Diocesan Offices
Three staff members will be leaving. In terms of who will be the next bishop, all were requested to use the prayer provided on the cards distributed to the parishes.
Future Council meeting dates and places were given, and the meeting concluded.